'Queer Eye,' Love, Simon, 'Vida,' 'Steven Universe,' 'Nanette,' TransMilitary, Univision among GLAAD Media Award recipients and 'The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset' wins inaugural Outstanding Video Game Award
Sean Hayes receives Stephen F. Kolzak Award from Allison Janney with celebrity presenters including Gwyneth Paltrow, Lena Waithe, Janet Mock, Adam Lambert, Adam Rippon, Meghan Trainor, Nico Santos, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Gigi Gorgeous
LOS ANGELES, CA - [On Thursday, March 28] GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, announced recipients for 15 of this year's 27 categories for the 30th Annual GLAAD Media Awards. Beyoncé and JAY-Z received the Vanguard Award and Sean Hayes received the Stephen F. Kolzak Award from Academy Award-winning actress Allison Janney at the star-studded ceremony at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles.
The 30th Annual GLAAD Media Awards honor media for fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of LGBTQ people and issues. They continue in New York City on Saturday, May 4th. The 30th Annual GLAAD Media Awards are presented by Delta Air Lines, Gilead, Hyundai, Ketel One Family-Made Vodka, and Wells Fargo.
Celebrity guests including the cast of 'Queer Eye,' Meghan Trainor, Hayley Kiyoko, Adam Lambert, Michelle Kwan, Nico Santos, Gigi Gorgeous, and Dan Reynolds stopped by GLAAD's special 30th anniversary video booth. Videos available at http://events.ombooth.com/2601/g2934?page=1
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards:
* Black LGBTQ trailblazers presented Beyoncé and JAY-Z with the Vanguard Award and showcased how their music and allyship has impacted LGBTQ people around the world. Included in the presentation:
HIV/AIDS advocate Morris Singletary, who works with GLAAD and Gilead's COMPASS InitiativeTM; writer, producer, and director Janet Mock; stylist Ty Hunter; and Emmy and GLAAD Media Award-winning writer, producer and actor Lena Waithe presented them with the GLAAD Media Award.
* Oscar and Emmy Award-winning actress Allison Janney presented Sean Hayes with the Stephen F. Kolzak Award for his LGBTQ advocacy and work to tell LGBTQ stories.
* Outstanding Film - Wide Release: Love, Simon (20th Century Fox) [accepted by: Greg Berlanti and cast members including Nick Robinson, Josh Duhamel, Keiynan Lonsdale, and Alexandra Schipp; presented by Gwyneth Paltrow]
* Outstanding Comedy Series: 'Vida (Starz)' [accepted by: Tanya Saracho and cast members; presented by Jake Borelli and Alex Landi ('Grey's Anatomy') and Olivia Munn]
* Outstanding Reality Program: 'Queer Eye' (Netflix) [accepted by: Jonathan Van Ness, Antoni Porowski, Tan France, Bobby Berk, Karamo Brown; presented by Meghan Trainor and Nico Santos]
The following is a list of other award recipients announced at the 30th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles:
* Outstanding Documentary: Believer (HBO)
* Outstanding Individual Episode (in a series w/o a regular LGBTQ character): 'Someplace Other Than Here' - 'The Guest Book' (TBS)
* Outstanding Kids & Family Programming: 'Steven Universe' (Cartoon Network)
* Outstanding Video Game: 'The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset' (Bethesda Softworks)
* Outstanding Comic Book: Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles, written by Mark Russell (DC Comics)
* Outstanding Magazine Article: 'Can a Transgender Woman Get Justice in Texas?' by Nate Blakeslee (Texas Monthly)
* Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: Variety
Outstanding TV Journalism - Newsmagazine (Spanish-Language): 'Entrevista con Luis Sandoval para National Coming Out Day' Despierta América (Univision)
* Outstanding Digital Journalism (Spanish-Language): 'Así pinta la televisión hispana a los personajes LGBTQ, una representación preocupante' por Daniel Shoer Roth (ElNuevoHerald.com)
*Special Recognition: 'Nanette' (Netflix)
* Special Recognition: TransMilitary (Logo)
* Special Recognition (Spanish-Language): 'House of Mamis' (INTOmore.com)
'This year's award recipients not only represent stories that are moving the needle today, but are a reflection of just how far LGBTQ images in the media have evolved over the last 30 years,' said GLAAD CEO and President Sarah Kate Ellis. 'Award recipients like Queer Eye, Vida and Love Simon represent a new generation of diverse LGBTQ creators, talent, and storytellers who are raising the bar at a critical time in our community and our country.'
At the event, celebrities sported blue '&' pins for GLAAD's Together movement - representing GLAAD's work on intersectional issues including immigration, racial justice, women's rights, and LGBTQ acceptance. This subtle yet powerful symbol represents the power of solidarity and great accomplishments that occur when marginalized community groups - including women, Muslims, immigrants, people of color, and LGBTQ people - resist together.
GLAAD previously announced that Madonna will receive the Advocate for Change Award and Andy Cohen will receive the Vito Russo Award from Sarah Jessica Parker in New York City on May 4. Additional special guests for the New York City event include Don Lemon, Samantha Bee, and cast members of 'Pose.' The New York City ceremony will air exclusively on Logo on Sunday, May 12.
GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released or broadcast between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018.
For a full list of nominees: http://glaad.org/mediaawards/nominees
On socials please follow @GLAAD and #glaadawards
The 30th Annual GLAAD Media Awards are supported by Presenting Partners Delta Air Lines, Gilead, Hyundai, Ketel One Family-Made Vodka, and Wells Fargo. GLAAD is also grateful to: Official Partners Bud Light and Google; Titanium Partner AT&T and WEN; Platinum Partners Comcast NBCUniversal-Telemundo, Creative Artists Agency, Disney ABC Television Group, Facebook/Instagram, HBO, Hulu, Kaiser Permanente, MetLife, NBA & WNBA, Netflix, Omnicom Group, PRG, Sheppard Mullin, Turner; Gold Partners CBS/Showtime, Nielsen, PWC, UM, Univision, and VER; and Silver Partners Allstate, Coca-Cola, Morgan Stanley, and Warner Bros.
GLAAD rewrites the script for LGBTQ acceptance. As a dynamic media force, GLAAD tackles tough issues to shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change. GLAAD protects all that has been accomplished and creates a world where everyone can live the life they love. For more information, please visit www.glaad.org or connect with GLAAD on Facebook and Twitter.
About Ketel One Family-Made Vodka
Created in the Netherlands - the first progressive country to legalize marriage equality - Ketel One Family-Made
Courtesy of GLAAD
Share on Facebook
Share on Delicious
Share on StumbleUpon!