Friday
July 14, 2006
SGN.org
Volume 34
Issue 28
 
search only SGN online
Saturday, Dec 05, 2020

 

 



 
Summer Camp for LGBT adults celebrates its 10th season
Summer Camp for LGBT adults celebrates its 10th season
'Camp' Camp, the country's only summer camp catering exclusively to Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender adults will operate its tenth season this summer.

Located in the heart of rural Maine, 'Camp' Camp's primary mission is to give GLBT adults an opportunity to recapture their youth in a rustic setting. Camp is structured just like the sleep-away summer camp that many remember as children. There is a full program of great outdoor, athletic, andarts & crafts activities and a variety of entertaining evening social events.

"Almost 60 percent of the people who attend Camp, did so as a child," said 'Camp' Camp's Co-Director, Kerry Riffle. "The other 40 percent are people who have always wondered what summer camp would have been like."

"'Camp' Camp is considered the perfect alternativ vac tian for adventurous members of the GLBT community looking for a unique vacation," says Susan Clinkenbeard, 'Camp' Camp's Co-Director.

Like many summer camps, it's the people who make it special. "My favorite thing about Camp is the people. It's a very safe, loving, supportive place, where I feel I can become even more me," says David H., a four-year 'Camp' Cam veteran n fro New York City. 'Camp' Camp provides an environment for people to take a break from their everyday lives.

"'Camp' Camp creates a world where there is no pressure, gourmet meals are provided and you don't have to deal with any kind of hassles," Riffle said. "A lot of people come to Camp to re-experience their happiest days of childhood, except now as GLBT adults," Riffle said. campers reacquaint themselves with being outdoors and the community experience."

Activities at 'Camp' Camp are varied and accommodate the athletic to the artistic, the performer to spectator. Amongst the more than 30 different activities, Campers can choose from tennis lessons, mountain biking excursions, nighttime guided hikes, dance instruction, stained glass classes and jewelry making.

Cabins are shared by groups of 6-20 men or women. Women bunk with women, men with men. Camp is typically 200-215 people of whom about 80% are single. The proportion is 55% men and 45% women, who range in age from 18 to 60s, with most falling into the range of their late 20s to early 40s.

'Camp' Camp 2006 runs from Sunday, August 20 through Sunday, August 27, 2006. A week at Camp includes all activities, meals and accommodations. 'Camp' Camp is located outside of Kezar Falls, Maine, 45 minutes west of Portland, two and a half hours from Boston and seven hours from Manhattan. Additional information can be found at www.campcamp.com.



A 'Camp' Camp press release

International Readers
We want to learn about you and have you tell us about Gay Life where you live.
Please click here



Seattle Gay Blog
It's new!
A blog created
by the SGN staff
so you can be heard


working for the freedom to
marry since 1995


copyright Seattle Gay News - DigitalTeamWorks 2006